Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

"These little victories are making me happy!" said Phil.  He weighs around 340lbs and he's been on a juice diet for about 10 days.  For him, a small victory was losing 17lbs and sharing his new juice diet to a neighbor on the 4th of July.  He's a truck driver, has health issues and meets an Australian that changes his life.  Only about 15 minutes into watching this movie, I was so motivated and reinvested in my nutrition that I got off the couch, grabbed my purse and drove to Costco to buy a juicer!


Thankfully, Costco didn't let me down.  The juicer was large enough for a whole apple but small enough not to need it's own zip code in my kitchen.  With the new Jack LaLanne Juicer nicely packed in the front seat of my truck, I opened the box to flip through the recipe book and jotted down my grocery list.  Normally I get all of my groceries from Whole Foods but since I was ONLY getting vegetables this time, I decided to stay close to home and headed to Grand Mart.  There are so many selections there and I believe their produce is mostly local.  My grocery list:

  • 5 apples
  • 5 lemons
  • 2 limes
  • 3 oranges
  • 1 cucumber
  • strawberries
  • raspberries (sadly none there today)
  • celery
  • lettuce
  • ginger
  • carrot 
  • mint
The two recipes I chose for today were Orangeberry, a Digestive Jump Start juice for dinner and Clear Shock, a Cucumber Spa Cocktail for lunch tomorrow.  I made both including cleaning in about 30 minutes and even cleaned off a new spot for it on the counter.  Spinach salad with tomatoes, goat cheese, cranberries, pine nuts, cashews and blueberry dressing was my dinner and Orangeberry was my dessert as I watched the rest of "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix.  


The juicing process was actually much easier than I thought and I was surprised to see how much of the fruity flesh was left after the juice was extracted.  There was a little bit of cleanup but I was able to dump the pulp in my compost pile and stick to my goal of simple and green in my house.


There are a few things I'm trying to achieve this year.  Maintain a healthy weight through changing my diet (specifically pescatarian), creating more space in my house and living more simply by getting rid of things that I don't need and spending more time active by joining clubs and groups like meetup and traveling around the world.  Today I'm kicking off my 10 day veggie/fruit fasting and then I'll try fasting with only vegetable and fruit juices at least one meal a day.  My little victories will make me happy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment